Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Stretching your dollar


I've recently joined the world of coupon clipping. I used to think coupons were irrelevent, that they didn't really make that big of a difference and were a lot of work. I also thought that I don't buy stuff that I can use coupons with as we don't buy a lot of snack or junk food. Boy has my opinion changed! I still have a lot to learn..I'm a work in progress, which is pretty much how I can describe everything in life anyways.
Today we went to Walgreens to stockpile on some cleaning supplies and toothpaste, and I saved $70 and will be getting a $10 rebate check so really I saved $80! The lady who checked me out at Walgreens looked at my receipt and said, "oh my gosh, you saved $70!" She sounded shocked. And admitidly I was a little surprised too on how much I saved.
Here is what I got from the store for just over $50 -3 bottles Windex, 3 cans pledge, 3 bottles of Fantastic, 6 tubes of toothpaste, 2 toothbrushes (these cost less than a quarter), 2 boxes of cookies, 2 packages of pledge wipes, 1 bottle of drano, 4 bottles of probiotic suppliments (this alone would have cost $32), & 2 bottles of children's tylenol (with 5 kids you can never have enough Tylenol:)


I started my journey of saving by joining the grocery game and talking with friends who are already pros in this world of coupons and sales. I hope to someday be able to figure out and organize all the deals and coupons on my own and save a couple more bucks a month but for now I love the organization and convenience of the list from the grocery game.
Our grocery bills have shrunk tremendously. I now spend $70-90 a week on groceries instead of $130-160. This includes diapers (which we are using way less of now that Adah is potty training) paper products, & soaps.

What I still can't believe is all the stuff you get for free. I haven't had to pay for toilet paper in months:)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lexi... that is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! Isn't it fun... I look so forward to Sunday to get my coupons!!! That is also a little sad isnt it? :)