Sunday, September 7, 2008

Reading Adventures


Anna is learning to read. She is really getting the hang of it and I am of course a proud mom. It's very special for me since I am her teacher and I get to see the fruit of the hard work we've done. There's something special about teaching your child new things, whether it's teaching a toddler to go potty by themself or teaching a preschooler to tie their shoes, ride a bike, or write their name; but for me teaching my children to read has been extra special. They go from dependant observer and listener to a more engaged and independant learner.
Anyways, Anna and I were at the store the other day and she was looking around at all the words and phrases around her and reading them aloud to me. After reading several signs and labels she said to me, "mom, I just CAN"T STOP READING!" It was great! She was like a sponge that could not help but absorb everything around her. She is beginning to realize all the information she didn't see before. And it really struck me that she was content before she knew how to read, but now that she knows more and has started to read on her own, a whole new world has been opened to her, she has a new hunger to learn and grow. I am so proud because she "just can't stop reading!"

No comments: